[squeak-dev] Can I post Objects to Tony Garnock-Jones AMQP?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Oct 21 21:43:32 UTC 2021

SIXX seems pretty good; it produces something that looks quite a lot like xml, that compresses very nicely and runs pretty fast (at least, for the things I've been using it for).  I warn you to don sunglasses when visiting the website though...
http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~umejava/smalltalk/sixx/index.html

> On 2021-10-21, at 1:22 PM, gettimothy via Squeak-dev <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks Tony,
>
> It looks like JSON is the flavor-of-the-moment as far a serialization.
>
> I have never done it, but it is useful in Seaside (from what I have read) and so worth learning.
>
> I am looking forward to getting the RabbitMQ working too.
>

> Next steps on the SAX stuff is to divide into "pages" and wrap with an object containing meta-data.
> The wrapper will contain an XMLDocument containing the "section" of the large dump.
> I can then use XPath on that mini-XMLDocument to get the wiki markup to parse after I transport it via RabbitMQ json etc.
>
> But before that, just get some statistics on meta-data and another speed test.
> Then use that meta-data to inform the next parts of the architecture.
> Then do that "wrapper" stuff I described above.
>

> My first task may be to document this stuff using i different dataset of NOAA weather stations:
>
> [(DocDemoSaxHandler parseURL: 'https://w1.weather.gov/xml/current_obs/index.xml' upToLimit:nil)
>
> Maybe spin up a Seaside app with Zurb framework to display it on demand.
>
> Be a neat mini-example app with multiple systems.
>
> Anyhoo...thanks for the info on the MQ.
>
> cordially,

> .
>

> ---- On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 15:59:01 -0400 Tony Garnock-Jones <tonyg at leastfixedpoint.com> wrote ----
>
> On 10/21/21 20:52, gettimothy wrote:
> > If http://www.squeaksource.com/AMQP/
> > <http://www.squeaksource.com/AMQP/> AMQP can handle "objects" then I can
> > use STOMP (which I used before, about 10 years ago for a commercial app
> > involving squeak)
>
> AMQP/STOMP just transport sacks of bytes around. They care little about
> the internal structure of those byte sequences. They make you expose
> enough structure to do routing, and that's it. Usually routing is done
> on a single string attached as metadata to the binary blob du jour.
>
> So you will need to pick a serialization/pickling/marshalling framework
> to use to turn portions of your Smalltalk object graph (or, if you're
> lucky, tree) into a byte string - then route that via
> AMQP/STOMP/MQTT/whatever - then deserialize again at the other end.
>
> I'm out of date wrt nice ways to serialize Smalltalk objects! What do
> people recommend these days?
>
> Tony

tim
A flash of light, a cloud of dust, and...  What was the question?