[squeak-dev] Moose for Squeak?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Oct 24 00:25:48 UTC 2021

> On 2021-10-22, at 5:51 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 05:06:35PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
>> Has anyone any experience in using Moose with Squeak? Either as in reading
>> Squeak code into Moose-pharo, or loading Moose into Squeak directly?
>>
>> Or indeed any other tool of a similar nature? I've seen Dandelion, which
>> seems like an intersting but much lighter-weight tool.
>>

> I have no experience with Moose other than reading references to it

Likewise!

> on the Pharo mailing list. But it predates Pharo and appears to be
> designed as an analytical tool for various languages, including Java
> and therefore presumably also Pharo, Squeak, Cuis, etc.
>
> I just downloaded the Linux package from moosetechology.org/#install
> and it started and runs very nicely in the expected way.

Sorta-likewise. It downloads (well, the 6.1 version is what I grabbed) and runs ok on the iMac.  I haven't made it actually do anything beyond wildly flailing at button pushing to see what explodes. The doc I've glanced at so far only mentions java code, which is a bit disappointing. I know it does more than that. And as always, I just find something weirdly annoying about Pharo; no real idea why. I did notice that they have cleaned up the menu design quite a bit, which is certainly sometihng we ought to try someday. Even there the graphic design aspect grates somehow.

> My guess (and it is only a guess) is that trying to make Moose run
> in Squeak would not be a productive use of your time, but using the
> actual Moose distribution as a tool to analyze Squeak code might be
> worthwhile.

My thoughts exactly. Also, converting it to use some web compatible graphics would probably be a bit of work. It's not that it couldn't be done... but I really don't think I can see any way it could be done realistically.

tim
Futuristic: It will only run on a next generation supercomputer.