[squeak-dev] Deprecating #ifNotNilDo: & friends

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Fri Sep 10 08:52:29 UTC 2021

A simple compiler warning in the Transcript might work. Like we have for Undeclared and shadowed variables ... maybe simple blacklist of "iconic" selectors such as #ifNotNilDo: ...

Best,
Marcel
Am 10.09.2021 03:25:39 schrieb Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu>:
On Tue, 7 Sep 2021, christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de wrote:

> FYIO: https://sourcegraph.com/search?q=context:global+ifNotNilDo:+lang:Smalltalk+&patternType=literal
>
> Among others, Seaside, SqueakJS/Caffeine, Squot, and many others still use this selector. It was a good idea not to deprecate it in the hard way. :-)

Still, we need a way to notify people that their code uses deprecated
methods.
Perhaps it would be the best when the package is loaded and the image is
interactive.

Levente