[squeak-dev] Porting Speech/TTS to Squeak Trunk (was: Speech.sar is missing)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Sep 18 14:51:03 UTC 2021

On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 04:01:03PM +0200, christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have finally found the time to try again to get Speech running under Squeak 5.3. The SAR file in the wiki is incomplete, but this one can be loaded with almost zero errors into a fresh trunk image: https://source.squeak.org/39a/Speech-md.9.mcz
>
> I have just uploaded Speech-ct.11 to the inbox which can be loaded without any hickups into Squeak Trunk. :-) The question, what shall we do it? Speech is no longer part of the Trunk (I don't know why), I have no idea what is the best way to keep it in a maintainable state. Shall we readd it to the Trunk? Shall I make a separate GitHub repository for it? Open to your ideas. :-)

Hi Christoph,

Please set up an account for yourself on squeaksource.com, exactly
like your ct account on source.squeak.org. There is already a
Speech project there (http://www.squeaksource.com/Speech) that
begins with the Speech-md.9.mcz that you found. I'll add you to
that project so that you can contribute directly. You can copy
your Speech-ct.11 directly there, and merge as needed. The most
recent update in that repository is from 2012, so I'm sure that
it is overdue for some updates :-)

Presumably someone should also update the SqueakMap entry for
Speech, which apparently points to an old copy that was extracted
from Squeak 3.4.

Sorry I did not mention this earlier, but I honestly had forgotten
that the squeaksource repository was there, even though I am the
person who set it up long ago.

Dave