[squeak-dev] Manual line breaks in code

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Apr 2 00:19:06 UTC 2022

On Fri, Apr 01, 2022 at 02:32:04PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> > On 2022-04-01, at 1:30 PM, Jaromir Matas <mail at jaromir.net> wrote:
> >
> > Unless Squeak somehow employs a reasonable indentation I personally prefer
> > this way ??? especially for comments inside the indented code ??? long lines
> > break indentation and the resulting look is unfortunate; I???m trying to
> > avoid long comments but sometimes a longer comment just feels appropriate.
> >

> Perhaps one might do some extensions to Shout to format comments to your
> preferences? It already detects comments, obviously, so maybe making it
> possible to have a text style applied in just the right manner?

Yes please. If someone wants to format comments differently, then
pretty print it any way you like. Shout might be good for doing that.

There are a lot of things that might be done to improve the
quality and quantity of comments in Squeak. Messing around with
line break characters in other people's comments is not one of
those things. Please just don't.

Dave