[squeak-dev] Squeak 6.0 | Release Planning

Bruce O'Neel bruce.oneel at pckswarms.ch
Mon Apr 18 12:58:08 UTC 2022

HI all,

There are two important OS releases this month that feed nicely into
releasing Squeak 6.

First up was Raspberry PI 32 and 64 bit on the 4 April.  


I will install both the 32 and 64 bit versions this week, but, does
anyone know which version of the VM ships with the new version?  I
think it would be good if the 6.0 image works correctly on the VM that
ships with Raspberry PI OS as well as which ever VM version we pick
also builds and works well.

Next up is Ubuntu's Long Term Support version 2204 rumoured to be on
the 21 April.

II will also install and test the x86-64 version when it releases.

Are there any other important OS releases coming up?  It would be
embarrassing to release 6.0 and then a week later have some important
OS not run the just released Squeak.



On 2022-03-31T09:50:08.000+02:00, Marcel Taeumel
<marcel.taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:

> Hi all --
> There are been a minor hold-up bc. of the graphics backends in OSVM
> for the macOS platform.
> On the one hand, there are some smaller tweaks needed for
> high-resolution displays.
> On the other hand, the "-core-graphics" backend is not working in
> recent macOS 10, 11, or 12. And the "-metal" backend (current
> default) is limiting performance in a normal Morphic image to 60
> fps/Hz, which causes stuttering when interfering with GC pauses
> and/or other Squeak processes (e.g., WeakArray finalizer). You can
> verify this by enabling #higherPerformance, which reduces the extra
> delay in the Morphic UI process to almost nothing. The
> FrameRateMorph should then show something like 200 FPS but only does
> 60.
> Working on this now.
> Best,
> Marcel
> -------------------------
>>  Am 14.03.2022 17:01:41 schrieb Marcel Taeumel
>>  <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de>:
>>   Hi all --
>>  Let me give you a brief update on the Squeak 6.0 release plan. :-)
>>  During the last 8 weeks, I worked on Squeak's localization
>>  capabilities, which includes loading and displaying TrueType
>>  fonts, modeling Locale and language information, as well as
>>  finding a way to not have to deal with line breaks in dialog/ui
>>  texts, which would be challenging for natural-language translators
>>  (both kinds, persons and machines^^).
>>  All that works now in a good-enough fashion. Yay. :-)
>>  I will now look at the workflow to update our translation files
>>  (i.e., the "locale" folder in all bundles). Then I will report
>>  back and ask for volunteers. :-D
>>  Best,
>>  Marcel
>>>   Am 18.01.2022 16:56:00 schrieb Marcel Taeumel
>>>   <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de>:
>>>   Hi all --
>>>   I suppose that many readers have noticed by now that we are
>>>   currently preparing the next Squeak release. A few weeks ago, I
>>>   volunteered for being the next release manager. Until now, I
>>>   have been rather reluctant to make any concrete remarks on when
>>>   the release will happen. Let me use the following lines to give
>>>   you a brief update.
>>>   The OpenSmalltalk VM looks good. We have our second release
>>>   candidate and will hopefully make a third one soon. Our daily
>>>   Trunk bundles include that OSVM RC2 already:
>>>   - http://files.squeak.org/trunk/
>>>   -
>>>   https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/releases/tag/202112201228
>>>   -
>>>   http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2022-January/037533.html
>>>   The Trunk image is doing well. Maybe we can do our traditional
>>>   "Feature Freeze" in the beginning of February. Before proposing
>>>   a concrete schedule, I want to finish assessing a few
>>>   higher-effort things including:
>>>   - Objectland
>>>   (http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2019-October/204437.html)
>>>   - Localization (English, German, French, ...)
>>>   - Jaromir's latest efforts around process scheduling
>>>   - Eric's latest efforts around GIFReadWriter
>>>   - Current state of ClipboardExtendedPlugin
>>>   - Current state of IPv6
>>>   Other than that, I plan for announcing the upcoming "Feature
>>>   Freeze" about 2 weeks in advance. Then we enter our beta-testing
>>>   phase, in which I will make our latest "60Deprecated" package
>>>   opt-in instead of opt-out (using the preference wizard). Then,
>>>   about 1-2 weeks later if all goes well, I will update the
>>>   .sources file of our final release candidate to
>>>   SqueakV60.sources, package the release and open the Trunk for
>>>   features again. :-) Next Trunk version will be 6.1alpha (using
>>>   61Deprecated for new deprecations).
>>>   Let us all work together to make Squeak 6.0 being worth its
>>>   increased major version number:
>>>   - Report issues
>>>   - Fix failing tests
>>>   - Make you favorite projects compatible
>>>   Thanks! :-) Happy squeaking!
>>>   Best,
>>>   Marcel

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/attachments/20220418/79a4b8f3/attachment.html>

More information about the Squeak-dev mailing list