[squeak-dev] Survey | Default encoding for new (multi-byte) file streams

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Wed Apr 20 06:21:30 UTC 2022

Hi all --

Thanks for you thoughts. We will not change the default for the next Squeak release. But after that, we can iterate this issue again and double-check our tests that we do not mess up anything related to text encoding. I am pretty sure that lots of client code forgets to call #ascii or #text after opening up the file stream.

Best,
Marcel
Am 20.04.2022 04:24:29 schrieb Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com>:
Am Mo., 11. Apr. 2022 um 14:42 Uhr schrieb Marcel Taeumel
<marcel.taeumel at hpi.de [mailto:marcel.taeumel at hpi.de]>:

> What do you think should be the default encoding when opening a new file?

Binary,

+1, that's what it USED to be, which is why...

so no encoding at all :-) Unfortunately text mode has
traditionally been the default, so this would be even more of a
breaking change...

... the fact it already went through a breaking change once, discussions about "default" should basically be rendered moot.  No code should rely on such a default, nor expect future readers of the code to remember what the last vote-result for this default was by always explicitly specifying it in your code.

Best,
  Chris