[squeak-dev] Bug in trunk? 'select all' in Workspace, line counting issue?

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Tue Apr 26 09:36:56 UTC 2022

Hi Nicolas --

> Also, does overwriting selection followed by ALT+j or CTRL+j work for you?
> Cmd+j also works there, contrary to windows...

Please verify that the following (default) is set:

EventSensor mapControlCharactersToPrintableCharacters: true.

On Windows, CMD shortcuts might better be pressed via the ALT key. However, in the default configuration, both CTRL and ALT modify will raise the #commandKeyPressed flag. So both should work.

See the documentation in KeyboardEvent >> #checkCommandKey.

Additionally, CTRL+J can have the issue of not arriving as #keyCharacter $j but als Character lf. You can use the KeyboardExerciser to check.

With the following (default) preferences on Windows, CTRL+j can be used instead of ALT+j for find/replace:

[ x ] EventSensor mapAltKeysToOptionKeys
[ x ] EventSensor mapControlKeysToCommandKeys

See EventSensor class >> #startUp:.

On all platforms, #mapControlCharactersToPrintableCharacters is enabled. We expect the current programming model to use #keyCharacter based on physically printed labels. In the future, we will continue to improve this with the newer KeyboardEvent >> #key protocol/message, which makes the abstraction of "virtual keys" accessible.

NOTE THAT, whether it is better to expect that the user knows how to enter a particular #keyCharacter or just the #key as printed on the physical keyboard, is subject of discussion. So it is about "I know how to enter this character" vs. "I can only enter the characters that have labels printed on my keyboard". Keyboard layout matching physical layout ...etc ... :-)

Best,
Marcel