[squeak-dev] [Vm-dev] new VM breaks window dragging in old images. that's not backwards compatibility in my book.

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 17:57:53 UTC 2022

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 12:19 AM Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de>
wrote:

> Hi Eliot --
>
> No, this cannot be preserved on the VM side without again introducing that
> major performance regression that has been there for several years now on
> the macOS platform. I strongly argue that we keep the VM platform code this
> way.

You *cannot* just break older images.  This constitutes a fork in the VM.

> However, it can *very easily* be fixed in most (if not all) older images.
> Just disable deferred (display) updates as it was not supported on macOS
> for a very (!) long time:
>
>    PasteUpMorph disableDeferredUpdates: true.
>    Project allMorphicProjects do: [:ea | ea world canvas: nil].

If it can be fixed easily at the image level then it can be fixed at the VM
level, for example, by adding a status bit to new images which invokes the
new behaviour in the VM.  Haivng to modify old images is ass backwards.;

--
best, Eliot