[squeak-dev] Monads in Squeak

Kjell Godo squeaklist at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 05:53:29 UTC 2022

correct me if i am wrong but

Association class>>return: anObject ^( self new value: anObject )
Association>>=<< aOneInputValua
     ^( self class return:( aOneInputValua value:( self value ) ) )

where
     ( aOneInputValua respondsTo:#value: )=true

or
Association class>>inClass:c return: anObject ^( self key:c value: anObject
)
Association>>=<< a2InputValua
     ^( self class inClass:( self key )return:(
             aOneInputValua value:( self key )value:( self value ) ) )
             “where aOneInputValua uses its first input which is aClass to
do some
               kind of runtime type checking or like
or maybe more like”
Association class>>inClass:c return: anObject ^( self key:c value: anObject
)
Association>>=<< a1InputValua
     ^( self class inClass:( self key )return:(
          a1InputValua value:(
               ( ( self value )isKindOf:( self key ) )
                    ifTrue:[ self value ]ifFlase:[ self Error:’wrong type’
] ) ) )

you see the thing about Haskell is that it is completely lazy so there is
no evaluation ordering that can be counted on so monads are a way to impose
an execution order via function composition like
( h value:( g value:( f value: x ) ) ) forces f to be done first and h last
and g second

but Smalltalk is not lazy , so there is a runtime ordering , so maybe
Smalltalk can get an equivalent functionality out of just composing one
input valua which is just composing one input functions , unless you want
to insist on the >>isKindOf: type checking