[squeak-dev] [offtopic] Fourier transform

Vanessa Freudenberg vanessa at codefrau.net
Thu Aug 4 14:57:41 UTC 2022

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 01:15 Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net>
wrote:

> > I'm unable to think algebraically very effectively but can
> > think visually (for example I didn't understand the fourier transform
> > algebraically (the double integral formulation), but understand it
> > perfectly well as an infinite set of infinite integrals of the products
> > of a sine wave with an arbitrary waveform (itself composed of sine
> > waves)).
>
> As a visual person myself, Fourier transform did only really click with
> me intuitively when I saw it related to epicycles. See Mathologer's
> video here:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS4H6PEcCCA
>

>  Stef

Thank you for that video! Really enjoyable – I knew the epicyclic
explanation for how Fourier synthesis can generate a curve, but never
understood Fourier analysis, how to find the factors for a given curve. I
had a light bulb moment in the last part of the video where all the
integrals in the infinite sum become zero except for one particular term.
Beautiful!

Vanessa