[squeak-dev] TextMorph minimal width

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Mon Aug 15 10:54:51 UTC 2022

Hi Stef --

Fixed and commented via Morphic-mt.2024/25. Backported to Squeak 6.0.

Thank you for your patience.

Best,
Marcel
Am 15.08.2022 12:30:18 schrieb Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de>:
Hi Stef --

> well please just rename
> or refactor the relevant methods to fix the readability issue -
> functionality is more important than readability.

The workaround you proposed does not fix the underlying issues in
CompositionScanner. It makes things worse. I just argued with readability
to clarify how one could discover the actual issue.

I will add more commentary to it now.

Best,
Marcel
Am 14.08.2022 09:32:58 schrieb Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net>:
> Can you please give more context on where this turns out to be a problem?

It is a problem simply because it is an artificial limitation of a very
basic functionality, namely getting a graphic object adapted to the
exact length of a text - it seems silly to me to have to notice
programmers that 'sorry, it is impossible if the text is too short'

Now if what I proposed is not considered a fix only because of
readability (and not because it does not work), well please just rename
or refactor the relevant methods to fix the readability issue -
functionality is more important than readability.

Stef