[squeak-dev] Some questions about MIDI

Stéphane Rollandin lecteur at zogotounga.net
Sun Aug 28 21:00:57 UTC 2022

About MIDI.

Just in case I have not been clear enough about what I did, or in case I
have not screamed it loud enough, let me say it again:

*all music* introduced in

http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/sqgeo.htm

that is:

http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/Tout%20va%20bien%20(merci).ogg
http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/brontosaure.ogg
http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/Pentaxoyothol.ogg
http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/Rauquosph%C3%A8re.ogg
http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/Bulle%20qui%20rulle.ogg
http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/lithorale.ogg
http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/Blue%20glue.ogg
http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/I'll%20get%20there,%20again.ogg
http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/Day%20one.ogg
http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/Busy%20Claude%20is%20late%20again.ogg
http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/lava%20me%20baby.ogg
http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/Tannit.ogg
http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/noumenal%20blues.ogg

and the vast majority of the music from

http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/index.html

has been made *exclusively in Squeak*, and *exclusively in MIDI*.

muO has all the tools you need to record, edit, destructure, compose,
visualize, inspect, analyse, arrange, export and play MIDI tracks.

I made a simple standalone MIDI sequencer built upon muO, illustrating
how it can be used as a library for custom music applications:

http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/boadebui.htm

with which I composed the following demo pieces, for which you can get
the scores in custom format plus the corresponding MIDI scores:

http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/Boltzmann%20Half-Baked%20Pizzas.ogg
http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/sacred%20cow.ogg
http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/The%20way%20of%20the%20chicken.ogg
http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/brontosaure.ogg
http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/de%20nada.ogg
http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/quatre%20marabouts.ogg
http://www.zogotounga.net/zik/69.ogg

So my point here is the following:

Improving MIDI support in Squeak without first having a look at what is
implemented in muO seems to me an extreme example of reinventing the wheel.

Please do investigate what I did for music composition in Squeak.

If you can write things like "Imagine you could press Record in a score
player..." then you will just not believe what you will see.

Stef