[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Chronology-Core-dtl.80.mcz

Lauren P drurowin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 15:45:49 UTC 2022

List,

I forgot about the release notes... I'm on the list, so I see them in real
time.

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022, 15:52 David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 12:03:46PM +0000, Thiede, Christoph wrote:
> > > But it turned out to be a non-issue, nothing got broken and nobody had
> any problems with it at all.
> >
> > Well, Squeak Inbox Talk displayed dates in the wrong timezone since then
> until I noticed, but I have fixed that now. :-)
>
> Oh dear, I stand corrected!

At my work, the time zone of your punch is determined by the device you use
to punch.  Luckily, our corporate had the foresight to *not* record in UTC
or with zone offset, so upon discovery everybody got a few extra days of
backpay.

You were right to call that a breaker.

> What I want to say with that is, I would not assume that everyone who
> detects a bug or a breaking change will report it to the mailing list. I
> think (at least I hope?) that there is a notable part of the community that
> does not actively engage on the mailing list.

I would hope so as well!  It was good to see new names during the 6.0
release.

Maybe someone also will update a package five years from now from Squeak
> 6.0 to Squeak 7.0 and stumble about that breaking change. But as mentioned
> earlier, I think that a simple entry in the release notes will be fine.
> >

> I agree. And your work on release notes is very much appreciated

I should read them!  It sounds like a fair bit of effort on your part.