[squeak-dev] something with Monticello's package-cache I don't understand.

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Dec 2 23:17:40 UTC 2022

On Fri, Dec 02, 2022 at 12:38:09PM -0800, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>     I just updated an image that had been lying dormant for a few months.
> There were several package versions on a branch I didn't have in my
> package-cache.  As I like my package-cacher to contain all intermediate
> versions I opened the repository browser and started selecting all the
> versions I was missing. As I selected each the package browser reported
> "downloading xxx" as expected.  However, when I did an lds of my
> package-cache directory for the branched package nothing showed up.  So I
> again selected each version, again got the "downloading report", again
> didn't see the version show up in my package-cache until I used the Browse
> button to open a package browser on the version.  Only then did the package
> version show up in the ls of t6he directory.  I don't understand this at
> all.  What's going on?

I can't guess what is going on in this case, but in my own experience
I run into issues related to the Monticello caching fairly often, and
as a result I am in the habit of doing "MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches"
frequently.

I have not looked at this in any detail, but I notice that cacheing
causes problems, flushing the caches fixes the problems, and I do
not notice any performance difference either way.

Maybe it is time to get rid of the caching? The VM (and Squeak)
are very fast these days, so I suspect that the MC caching may
have outlived its usefulness.

Dave