[squeak-dev] Release Notes Process (was: The Trunk: Chronology-Core-dtl.80.mcz)

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Sat Dec 10 04:27:45 UTC 2022

Hi all --

We can start taking notes in a "6.1" at any time:
https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-app/tree/squeak-trunk/release-notes [https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-app/tree/squeak-trunk/release-notes]

Best,
Marcel
Am 29.11.2022 05:11:00 schrieb christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de <christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de>:
Hi Jakob,

> do you have any means to definitively retrievethis note when you or anyone else actually writes the release notes? ;-)

Thank you for raising this question! For the last release notes, I did a quick search in Squeak Inbox Talk for "breaking change" in the timespan of the previous alpha version and skimmed the results quickly, which yielded 17 conversations that I was able to skim pretty quickly.

However, this step is not documented anywhere. The entire process of writing release notes could benefit from some better documentation. (I also have too many other changes lying around in my working copy of SIT, one of them is a filter to search for versions for a particular release only which I used for the 6.0 release. I should really find some time to commit all of this stuff ...)

> maybe initialize these release notes right now

As already mentioned earlier [1], I wanted to propose that we migrate the release notes into the image using the HelpBrowser (similar to Help-Squeak-Project, maybe create another package for it?). Serializing, versioning, and deploying them through the squeak-app repository really felt unconvenient for me. We still could maintain a generated HTML version of them if we feel a need for this.

Best,
Christoph

[1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2022-June/221167.html

---