[squeak-dev] unix log viewing technique that doesn't make colossal files?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Dec 10 22:54:05 UTC 2022

> On 2022-12-10, at 5:28 AM, Jakob Reschke <jakres+squeak at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi tim,
>
> In what way is log rotation not applicable to your problem? It could compress or delete older log data regularly...

I may have misunderstood what it does; wouldn't be the first time. I get the impression it is intended for doing daily cleanup of system logs that don't grow as fast as my trace log does.
I'm generating a gigabyte or more per hour, and I don't want (necessarily) to keep it, but to have a window of maybe 10-50Mb of the most recent that doesn't grow beyond some set limit.

> About an external program, rsyslog comes to mind (has multiple sources and sinks for log data and can also do log rotation). There may be smaller solutions that I just don't know.
>
> https://www.rsyslog.com/doc/v8-stable/tutorials/log_rotation_fix_size.html

Hmm, that reads like another slow-growing log solution.

What would be really helpful would be some thing to write to that behaves like a bucket of a certain size that get filled from the bottom and excess overflows from the top. Having a way to filter incoming text would be nice too; sometimes you don't want to see *all* the 'helpful' output. What is frustrating is that I feel sure that somebody is going to tell me of some completely obvious solution that is incredibly easy to find once you know what it is...

tim
Cloister: a pretentious clam