[squeak-dev] [ENH] ECMenuMorph

christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Sun Dec 18 20:32:48 UTC 2022

Hi Pete,

thanks for your contribution, and sorry for the late reply! Ocompletion seems to have received little attention in the recent past, and it's great to see someone caring about that tool. :-)

> Unfortunately some of the text colors are not optimal.

How would you think about changing the background color to "UserInterfaceTheme current get: #color for: #PluggableListMorph"? Then you can be sure it always looks well together with the selection color.
As a general note, you can explore all available properties of the theme through "UserInterfaceTheme current properties explore".
Apart from that, the patch looks good to me. :-)

Besides, here are a few other notes about the form of the contribution (please don't take them too seriously, I'm just trying to document some aspects of the general process and my understanding of it here):

* Thank you for posting this patch on squeak-dev, the beginners list was probably not the right place for this :)
* You probably have noticed that there is no inbox repository available in the Monticello browser for this package (Ocompletion). This is because Ocompletion is not part of the Squeak Trunk image but an external package hosted on http://www.squeaksource.com/OCompletion. Anyway, I would say that uploading a patch to the inbox is fine. You should be able to set up the Monticello browser for this by unselecting the Ocompletion package on the left, yellow-clicking https://source.squeak.org/inbox on the right, and selecting "add to package..." > "Ocompletion". If you still experience issues with that, please share an exact screenshot of the error message. :-)
* However, sending a changeset like here is fine as well! Especially thanks for sharing the plain text fileout via e-mail, as this makes reviewing contributions more convenient.
* Last but not least, some advanced feedback on the description of your contribution: It would be helpful if you could try to describe how your changed behavior can be observed, e.g., it took me some time to figure out that you seem to have enabled to "Use eCompletion instead of OCompletion" preference (or are you using Autocompletion [1] instead of Ocompletion?). Also, sharing screenshots of the before/after situation of the affected menus in the different UI themes would be perfect. But as said before, this is very advanced feedback. :-)

Best,
Christoph

[1] https://github.com/LeonMatthes/Autocompletion

---