[squeak-dev] FOSS Licensing

Bruce O'Neel bruce.oneel at pckswarms.ch
Mon Dec 26 10:08:41 UTC 2022

HI,

While not a detailed discussion of FOSS licensing, there are lots of
interesting bits in this Strange Loop 2022 talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9IqwIovdiA&list=PLcGKfGEEONaDO2dvGEdodnqG5cSnZ96W1&index=16

"REMEMBER WHEN WE BROKE THE INTERNET?" BY JULIA FERRAIOLI AND AMANDA
CASARI (STRANGE LOOP 2022)

Lots of places have dual licensing arrangements where the OSI version
is free, but if you want or need support or extra (nice) features you
pay.

https://posit.co (RStudio renamed themselves, Never a good sign.)

Labkey with a .org for the free version and a .com for the not free
version.

If what you want is just to let people use your code freely then

CC BY-NC-ND 4.0CC BY-NC-ND 4.0

Name: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 4.0 International License
Abbrev: CC BY-NC-ND 4.0
FSF: non_free (https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#CC-BY-NC)
FOSS: no
Extensible: yes
Restricts_use: yes

might cover what you want.

More, way way more examples, on the R Licensing page.

https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/share/licenses/license.db

Another example is

https://opensource.stackexchange.com/questions/7687/what-non-commercial-license-is-that

which is a somewhat typical license that comes out of an European
University.

This is a very deep subject that burns infinite time.  Non-commercial
is a bit vague.  I work for a big company but we do basic research.
 Is that commercial?  Or no?  *I* have taken the position that it
is commercial, but, others do not.

cheers

bruce

On 2022-12-26T10:09:31.000+01:00, rabbit <rabbit at callistohouse.org>