[squeak-dev] trunk update stream appears to have become inaccessible

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Dec 27 02:10:41 UTC 2022

On Mon, Dec 26, 2022 at 08:13:11PM -0500, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 26, 2022 at 04:30:52PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
> > I can't do a trunk update of any of my squeak 6 images right now. This is the case for several 6.0 release images on several platforms and a freshly downloaded 6.1alpha system.
> >
> > The problem is that the securesocketstream>receiveData method gets a connection closed response. This isn't new and 'm sure I should remember more about it but... in fact the only notes I have that relate to the problem date back to '04 and I certainly don't remember any details.
> >
> > The especially annoying thing is that using https://source.squeak.org/trunk/ in a web browser works fine, so it probably isn't that the server is dead. Is this another stupid SSL issue?
> >

> Confirmed, I'm seeing the same. It seems specific to source.squeak.org/trunk as
> opposed to source.squeak.org/inbox. Something has changed quite recently, I'm
> pretty sure that updates were working earlier today.

Opening a repository browser on trunk gives the ConnectionClosed symptom
as described. So I tried it with an older Squeak 4.5 image, and it fails
with different symptoms, the progress bar stops part way through retrieving
the list of file names.

This is not SSL related, it seems to be something on the server that is
specifically related to the trunk repository, or possibly something
related to the (size of?) list of file names being retrieved.

Dave