[squeak-dev] trunk update stream appears to have become inaccessible

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 05:02:16 UTC 2022

Hi all,

The server appeared to be running fine.  I was able to vnc into the
image and everything appeared normal.  Nothing abnormal in the log.
The only anomaly was it was taking up a lot of RAM (7 GB) which is
really abnormal, so I restarted it.  After coming back up it's now
taking between 1-2 GB which is normal for this sized repository.

However, the trunk directory listing is still failing!

After considerable live debugging, I could find no errors or
abnormalities occuring in the Squeak image.  But, dog gone
it, Seaside apps with continuations and dynamic vars are really
difficult to debug, so I may have missed something, but I don't think so).

So, it *appears* at this point to be some sort of HTTP response size
limitation, possibly within the proxy server.  Levente?  There are
currently over 14000 files in 'trunk'.  All the other projects have
far fewer files (e.g., 'inbox', 'treated', etc.) and appear to be
working.  So, I changed the production server code to only return the
last 1000 of those 14000, it's "working" again.

I'm afraid I'm at a loss for what else the problem might be, or how to
solve it, so, here are my suggestions:

  - any HTTP / Proxy experts know of any server configuration
parameters that could be affecting this?
  - If so, can we adjust it?  Or break up trunk into smaller projects?
  - change the /ss code to only return one from each project
round-robin until a total of 1000 have been retrieved.  But then we
couldn't access old versions except directly -- which may or may not
be a problem...?

Thoughts?   We're going to have to put our heads together on this one.

 - Chris