[squeak-dev] trunk update stream appears to have become inaccessible

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 20:03:58 UTC 2022

> > So, I changed the production server code to only return the last 1000
> of those 14000, it's "working" again.
>
> Just in case this wasn't obvious, updating your image still doesn't work
> because many versions are missing. Round-robin or some date-based heuristic
> would surely be a better (yet more complex) workaround. :-)

Yup.  And, it would alleviate our property of unsustainability.  I'm
curious about the proxy configuration, but this has me wanting to come up
with something in the app code in any case.  We're just sending that
ever-growing list over the wire hundreds, possibly thousands of times,
every day.  I like your idea of having age be a factor.

The impact of such a change would occur in the Repository browser.  There
would be fewer Versions in the right-hand pane for each package.  However,
I think it would be able to use the ancestry to diff anything older than
what the Repository browser showed, so it may not be a big deal..  Does
anyone see any holes in this idea?

 - Chris