[squeak-dev] Siren9-on-Squeak

Stephen Travis Pope stephen at heaveneverywhere.com
Thu Dec 29 10:05:10 UTC 2022

Hello Squeakers!

I got the Siren GUI framework (mostly) running on Squeak6, and both the MIDI primitives and OpenSoundControl socket protocol are running, so one can write trios for built-in sound synthesis, MIDI HW/SW and OSC synthesis servers (e.g., CSL or SuperCollider instruments).

The screen shot below shows the GUI on Squeak 6; in the upper-left is the Siren control panel; below that is music notation example showing a scale (to test that the automatic layout works). At the bottom left is another music notation example based on a Siren event generator (a 4-voice stochastic cloud that focusses on a smaller interval while getting quieter).  The window in the upper-right is a display list view example/benchmark showing a huge display list: 20,000 @ 4000 pixels (note the size of the scroll bars) with 13,200 display items (random strings in different fonts, rectangles, lines, poly-lines and glyphs); it scrolls pretty snappily...

I’ll update the GitHub repo (https://github.com/stpope/Siren9C) with a pre-built image for those who want to play with it.

The MIDI prims are compiled for Mac/M1only - can someone help out and compile them for other platforms?  My Linux and Windows virtual machines are pretty stale...

For more info, see:
	https://github.com/stpope/Siren9C
	http://FASTLabInc.com/Siren

	http://fastlabinc.com/Siren/Workbook/
	https://vimeo.com/120751122
	https://vimeo.com/421319630

	http://FASTLabInc.com/Siren/Doc/SirenBookChapter.pdf
SirenBookChapter
PDF Document · 2.8 MB

stp

--------

Stephen Travis Pope    Ojai, California, USA

     http://HeavenEverywhere.com
     http://FASTLabInc.com
     https://vimeo.com/user19434036/videos
     http://heaveneverywhere.com/Reflections