[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Graphics-mt.482.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Feb 14 17:29:08 UTC 2022

> On 2022-02-14, at 8:43 AM, Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:
>
> Hi all --
>
> Please report whether I am overlooking something here... It was kind of annoying that my entire TrueType cache was gone after just saving the image and keep on working.

The problem here is image file bloating; the hibernation is intended to save (quite a bit of) space in the image file. If we only hibernate when save&quitting then we will see patterns in the snapshot file size like

100mb
112mb
121mb
(quit) 101mb

.. which maybe wouldn't bother anyone, maybe would annoy some?

Also, a few save-no-quits followed by a damn-I-broke-it-quit-no-save would lave the large file as the one you have to start up. It should start ok but might be a problem for server cases where startup time is important?

High-tech-insane solution - use DTL's spawn-an-image and have that image do the hibernate & save! Couldn't possibly go wrong...

tim
Strange OpCodes: CM: Circulate Memory