[squeak-dev] Dead primitive 103 makes scrolling truetype fonts very, very slow. Let's get rid of it

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Thu Feb 17 11:15:01 UTC 2022

Hi Tony --

I just checked. Primitive 103 does not fail for me. I added this:

<primitive: 103>
Smalltalk at: #ScanFail put: (Smalltalk at: #ScanFail) + 1.
^self basicScanByteCharactersFrom: startIndex to: stopIndex in: sourceString rightX: rightX

And #ScanFail keeps being 0. The primitive 103 works here. :-) Currently 32-bit OSVM on Windows 10.

Best,
Marcel
Am 17.02.2022 12:10:16 schrieb Tony Garnock-Jones <tonyg at leastfixedpoint.com>:
On 2/17/22 11:59, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> Also: Please increase your Glyph cache first before making any
> experiments. See preference TTCFont glyphCacheSize. The interference
> between cache invalidation and you removing that primitive might be
> leading to wrong conclusions... :-)

Oh, that's very interesting!

So first of all let me clarify that I was seeing multiple-second delays
with primitive 103 enabled, but mere multi-hundred-millisecond delays
with it disabled. Does the primitive touch the cache?

I'll explore different settings.

Is it recommended to increase the cache size after importing a new font,
or is it something that should maybe be a bit larger by default anyway?

Cheers,
Tony