[squeak-dev] [ANN] TouchScrolling

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Thu Feb 17 12:14:33 UTC 2022

Hmm... MouseWheelEvent could be a good start to learn about how to extend the user-input event repertoire. Some time ago, we even synthesized those from CTRL+UP/DOWN using event filters because the VM back then did not deliver actual wheel events. We could do the same for touch events. Synthesize them from other events or event sequences.

Best,
Marcel
Am 17.02.2022 12:50:59 schrieb Tony Garnock-Jones <tonyg at leastfixedpoint.com>:
On 2/17/22 12:45, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> We could modify this a bit to generate touch events directly upstream in
> HandMorph. Then all morphs could benefit from it. :-O

Yes, that'd be cool. I'm not confident I understand what changes might
be needed to the event hierarchy, though. I have one immediate use for
panning support in a non-ScrollPane: my TiledMaps package. At present,
it does the panning itself. It'd be nice to add pinch-zoom somewhere, too.

In my cellphone work, I've been presenting touch events to the image as
mouse events from a transient Hand that lasts only as long as the touch.
So each finger touching the screen gets its own Hand; there are no hover
events; and mouseDown/mouseUp correspond to touch/release. I was
surprised at how well it works :-)

Cheers,
Tony