[squeak-dev] FileStreams Limit

Jörg Belger unique75 at web.de
Sat Feb 19 09:53:32 UTC 2022

Hi Bernhard,

That is cool, thanks for the hint.

Does anybody knows if there is something like „email notification“ in Github ?? I mean something where everybody can add itself to an issue or a group of issues or issues with specific attributes/labels. I think when we would have groups like „UI“, „Database“, „Web“ etc. we could group the issues and possibly people can subscribe as example only for „UI“ and get only then emails for things which are interesting for them.

Currently it seems the Squeak Github has no labels or projects, if I click one „New issue“ I cannot select a label on right side or a project. Maybe the Squeak board members can think about several sub-areas like „UI“ and so on.

I think the squeak mailing list should be then used only for really really urgent things, so that not the whole discussion of „other“ projects must be read by all people.

If somebody thinks know to use Github as source code repository, I like the idea only a little bit, Pharo uses it. It has the advantage that nobody needs to run an own server at home :-)
But the big disadvantage is, that you cannot think anymore in packages with its own version history like in Monticello. You need to think in repositories and branches and if you change two packages that are linked to one Github repository and you commit the first package, then I think you commit the second package too under the same version, because in reality you do not commit the package, you commit your current repository from disk to server. You lost the possibility to version each package differently.  That makes it impossible to load later packageA with version 1.5, but loading packageB with version 2.7.

Does anybody knows if we can have a Github repository where we can think like a Smalltalker and commit single packages ?
Does anybody knows if we can have prerequisites for packages? The current Monticello configuration stuff with all the multi-repository links and configurations is simply the hell, nothing is working, nothing is loadable. I think the Squeak community needs one central repository where each thing in it is well tested and under control without any side-dependencies to other uncontrollable repositories. I recommend to install a contribution policy where „supported“ things that are added under the control of Core Squeak should have at least a reasonable set of SUnit test cases, so that we can automate the task of testing and building a new Squeak release. Nobody wants to test all things manually :-)

Jörg