[squeak-dev] Hello, World!

David O'Toole deeteeoh1138 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 19:32:56 UTC 2022

Yes, Sandblocks is kind of like Scratch on steroids, a complete visual
Smalltalk. You can even switch individual System Browser windows back and
forth between text view and blocks view. It works properly even with big
fat methods and lots of literals, like when structured data are embedded in
a method.

If I understand this correctly, Jens Moenig's "Elements" project was
striving for a minimal grammar with the fewest number of block constructs,
and is quite impressive in this respect; whereas the visual grammar in
Sandblocks more closely matches full Smalltalk (even extending the language
in some places.) It is a seeming evolution of the quest to find a happy
marriage between blocks programming and power-user environments that are
highly inhabitable and teachable. I'll be writing up more thoughts soon,
possibly a screencast or two to illustrate what's going on.

I'd be happy to discuss Sandblocks further, reach out if you like.
And thanks again for the warm welcomes, all of you :)
Take care.