[squeak-dev] Squeak and subprograms on standard I/O

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Jan 6 01:39:09 UTC 2022

On Wed, Jan 05, 2022 at 03:01:55PM -0500, David O'Toole wrote:
> I think I answered my own question and will look into OSProcess /
> CommandShell.
> I've built an Emacs frontend for the system already, Squeak should be
> interesting :)
>
> On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 2:59 PM David O'Toole <deeteeoh1138 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to communicate with a Lisp interpreter via standard I/O
> > running as a subprocess? I am considering building a Squeak graphical
> > frontend for a musical project that is written in S7 Scheme.

You may be able to take some inspiration from PipeableOSProcess class>>tkExample

If you inspect "PipeableOSProcess tkExample" you will get a proxy object
in Squeak that is connected through stdio pipes to a tk shell (/usr/bin/wish).
A small tk window will have opened elsewhere on your computer screen,
and you can click on the buttons to see it work. After you click the
exit button in the tk window, you will see the proxy in Squeak updated
with the exited process status.

I expect that you will be able to do the same sort of thing with a Lisp
interpreter shell.

Note, I am using a Linux system. This will probably also work on OS X,
but it will not work on Windows.

Dave