[squeak-dev] Error: infinite recursion in doesNotUnderstand:

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Jan 10 12:29:26 UTC 2022

Hi all, hi Eliot, hi Jaromir,

in the last time, I observed a number of "Error: infinite recursion in doesNotUnderstand:" messages when proceeding from a DNU in the debugger. Would it be possible to disarm this again? I admit that I have not yet followed up the full background on this change, but ...:

My usual workflow looks like this: Observe a DNU, create a new message in order to *probably* fix the issue, and press Proceed to give it a second try. If my fix was incorrect, observe a second DNU, approach a second fix, and proceed again for a third try, etc. With the recent changes to #doesNotUnderstand:, I have only got one chance to make the right fix, i.e., implement the missing method on the right class in the first attempt. If I just evaluate "nil foo" and press Proceed two consecutive times, I get this "infinite recursion" error and my iterative development cycle is broken. :-( Can we fix this?

Long-term note: Sometime after the release(tm) I would like to revise the debugger's buttons to handle exceptions anyway, e.g., we could integrate a "retry" button for DNUs. But until then, I would really appreciate it if we could keep the existing workflows intact. Anyway, IMHO proceeding from a non-resumable exception should either) retry the operation recursively or) ignore the exception and resume right after it. At the moment, I have the feeling that we have reached neither of these directions for #doesNotUnderstand:. See also the analogous behavior in Object >> #at:. :-)

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Christoph