[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Monticello-ct.729.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Jan 11 20:03:34 UTC 2022

Thinking of this from just the UI side, it would be nice to be able to easily request alerts that are more than just some wrapped text. The immediate example would benefit from being able to specify some text, a list of strings that can be scrolled if needed, and some more text, plus a group of buttons to provide actions. It's really just outgrown the simple idea of a
'do you want toast or not?'
confirmation dialogue.

Clearly we could make a dialogue with fixed components for this, and maybe that is a good answer here since it is a relatively common situation. I do quite like the idea of having a markdown-like capability in text though. I know there is even the beginning of it in one of the HPI projects.

> On 2022-01-11, at 4:34 AM, Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Christoph --
>
> > I would have expected
>
> Then my comparison with Markdown seems to have mislead you. Sorry. Don't overthink it. It's just a low-hanging fruit. It's way simpler than starting to implement hide/show capabilities in ProportionalLayout ;-)
>
> Best,
> Marcel
>> Am 11.01.2022 13:26:59 schrieb Thiede, Christoph <christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de>:
>>
>> Hi Marcel,
>>

>> Markdown sounds *very* appealing, but my personal preference would be to think through this thoroughly rather than starting with a single syntax for a rather special use case. For instance, I would have expected `- ' to map to a (not yet existing) EnumerationAttribute with an indented bullet point (•). I would prefer to collect more use cases before going into the implementation of such an API. Just my 2 cents. :-)
>>

>> Best,
>>
>> Christoph

tim
Strange OpCodes: BBL: Branch on Burned out Light