[squeak-dev] bad MessageTrace regression (was: The Trunk: Morphic-mt.1652.mcz)

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Wed Jan 12 07:59:26 UTC 2022

Hi Chris --

> And if the users' goal is explicitly to make a duplicate, then don't understand why the duplicate halo, even despite being at another user-interface level, should be an issue.  What's wrong with using Squeak's power?

Because using the halo is a totally different mechanism while the meaning of "re-use windows" can be tweaked to be more appealing to a broader audience.

Christoph suggested that we should not ignore the user's input when they want to spawn another tool -- even if it would look the same as the tool they are currently working with. A common example is to hit the "browse" button in an open System Browser. You just want to get a new window to then browse something different, but nearby. Would be quite annoying to have to resort to the Morphic halo for this case.

> Marcel made this logic change when he also introduced the "context" and "requestor" complexities into the method.

It is still at a single place and thus easy to maintain. I am not saying that the current query is perfect. I was just negotiating between Chris' and Christoph's requirements for the reuseWIndows preference. I am happy to see that you found that line/query and can now reason about it.

Best,
Marcel