[squeak-dev] Cannot receive F1-F12 keys

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Thu Jan 13 09:20:31 UTC 2022

Hi David --

> it's probably time I learned how to compile the virtual machine.

Just clone "https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git" and then:

cd building/linux64x64/squeak.cog.spur/build
./mvm
sudo make install

Maybe re-configure before compile:

cd platforms/unix/config/
make configure

For missing packages, take a look at "scripts/ci/actions_prepare_linux_x86.sh". It's optimized for Ubuntu/Debian.

Best,
Marcel
Am 12.01.2022 17:27:40 schrieb David O'Toole <deeteeoh1138 at gmail.com>:
Hello marcel, thank you so much for taking the time to address this. I may try out that patch and let you know what happens , it's probably time I learned how to compile the virtual machine. In the interim I am still able to command shift 1/2/3 etc.

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022, 6:33 AM Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de [mailto:marcel.taeumel at hpi.de]> wrote:

Hi all --

> Perhaps it relates to how Squeak is compiled for Linux?

Yes, virtual keys in Linux/Ubuntu/X11 are kind of broken at the moment. They are purely derived from X11's (Unicode)-character-input interface, which is wrong and does not work for the F-keys. I started to fix this but it will take more time. I will continue this after the Squeak 6.0 release:

https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/pull/599 [https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/pull/599]

Sorry for the inconvenience. :-/ You can try to apply this patch from PR 599, though. Should work. I am still not convinced whether this is the right way to implement it. :-)

Best,
Marcel