[squeak-dev] bad MessageTrace regression (was: The Trunk: Morphic-mt.1652.mcz)

Jakob Reschke jakres+squeak at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 19:09:44 UTC 2022

Hi Marcel,

Am Fr., 14. Jan. 2022 um 17:05 Uhr schrieb Marcel Taeumel
<marcel.taeumel at hpi.de>:

> Aha! So, my misinterpretation was to read "browse senders" but understand "browse senders/implementors".

That was also my impression when I read your emails while cooking
lunch today. ;-)

FWIW here are my expectations:
- Menu and keyboard shortcut do the same thing
- Senders in the message list: add to trace
- Implementors in the message list: add to trace (but is seldom
useful, only if you have previously deleted too many items from the
trace)
- Senders in the code editor: new window*
- Implementors in the code editor: add to trace
- Senders/Implementors Buttons: new window

*An exception could be if the selected selector is the selector of the
current method. Then it could make sense to add to the trace instead.
But I would not insist on that special case.

That the buttons behave differently than the menu items in the code
editor is actually inconsistent, but knowing that, I have become
accustomed to using them if I do want a new window. I would not be too
concerned if that would change though (then they should behave like
the actions in the code editor).

Kind regards,
Jakob