[squeak-dev] what is a transparent proxy?

Craig Latta craig at blackpagedigital.com
Fri Jan 14 20:59:32 UTC 2022

Hi all--

      Chris writes:

 > Virtually none of our code is proxy aware.  The Symbol>>#= example is
 > just one of our many.

      Indeed, none of our code should be proxy-aware. Genuinely
transparent proxies are implemented with VM support, not with
doesNotUnderstand:. The traditional way of doing them is a symptom of
the VM being hard to change. Squeak changed that, and the performance
cost is negligible.

      ProtoObject may have valid uses, but I have yet to see one and
proxies isn't among them.

      Hm, how do I really feel? :)

-C

--
Craig Latta  ::  research computer scientist
Black Page Digital  ::  Berkeley, California