[squeak-dev] Why not just get rid of the sources file entirely (was: The Inbox: System-dtl.1277.mcz)

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Tue Jan 18 09:24:12 UTC 2022

Hi Dave --

> why don't we just get rid of the file entirely?

Because it is a good design exercise. There will always be some external content to be managed. Strings can bloat the an .image file quite fast. Try managing your e-mails for example. Currently, you are better off keeping that database nearby but outside the image. We still have to solve some GC challenges in the OSVM to conveniently support multi-gig image files.

If you would want to integrate the .sources file into the .image, then -- for the moment -- just keep a copy around the .image file. I, too, see not too much value in trying to manage re-use of such files outside the .image. But I do see value in having and keeping a design that allows us to maintain such contents outside the image.

If the image is 50 MB in size, then a compressed sources file with about 7 MB is a lot. It's not "only" but "a lot". Almost 10% :-)

So:
+1 for NOT putting too much effort in re-using/sharing external contents such as .source file between .images
-1 for integrating the .source file into the .image file

Best,
Marcel