[squeak-dev] The Trunk: System-mt.1018.mcz

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Jan 19 14:46:25 UTC 2022

Hi Marcel,

> Then you have to set the author initials on startUp to any specific value. That's how our CI does it.

But that requires me to define custom code into the image. Just changing some state in beforehand is much simpler.

> Well, I think this behavior originates from the fact that sharing your image via USB stick (or mail or floppy disk^^) means that a different person would then be the author. So, you would not want to store the wrong initials by accident. I think this point is still valid when students just share images without caring too much about preferences stored within. So, this is also kind of a security issue but not as serious as sharing your passwords.

Hm, this sounds to me as if you wanted to automatically do a system-wide #cleanUp instead when the image has been moved. We also do not clean up the clipboard or anything else when an image move is detected, and as you mentioned, the clipboard could contain much more sensitive information. Also, the heuristic for detecting "different machine" is insufficient, just assume both persons would store there image directly in in the file tree root (C:\). The fact that we are connecting those two aspects (image path and author initials) with each other appears arbitrary to me. If we were consistent with this intention, I think we should do "Smalltalk cleanUp: false" in this place. Still, I dislike the idea of automatically resetting the image on start-up. I would consider it somehow contrary to the idea of an image in general, that is, preserve some state and reuse it at a later point in time.

Hm ... make it a preference? :)

Best,
Christoph