[squeak-dev] Mantis new login registration (was: Same Dates are not equal)

Jörg Belger unique75 at web.de
Sun Jan 23 20:21:36 UTC 2022

Ok if it is old then I do not need Mantis. But the mailing list is also not a good option for a long time, because I get all the other emails from other issues where I am not interested in.

I think for the future and for a more professional working together it would be helpful to have a better issue tracker. I think an option could be simply the GitHub site where somebody can add repositories for several Squeak projects and then you have an issue tracker out of the box. Pharo do that in this way. The only thing I don’t like is that Pharo also uses Github as main source repository. I think that is the wrong way, because you lost the version history for single packages like in Monticello. Guthub allows only to commit the full repository, that is what I understand so far, maybe I am wrong. I do not like also to think in repository branches and full commits, I want to think in packages and want to load a specific version of a package without resetting all other package versions to the same repository branch. I am coming from VisualWorks Store and I am of course spoiled by that package versioning system.

I think generally there should be an option that we have a central place for issue tracking and where the developers can add email notification if they want to be informed. Everybody else look only from time to time on the issue tracker and is not disturbed by emails.

Regards
Jörg