[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Morphic-mt.1852.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 01:18:22 UTC 2022

(Tim)
> > I've never noticed any confusion with the general case of Workspace and 'accept'; all it has ever done (we're talking around 40 years practice here) is save the content to a string as a backup.
>
> (Marcel)
> What kind of intransparent, fragile "backup" would that be? You hit the window's close button and that "backup" is gone. In my opinion, that's not a "backup".
>
> (Jaromir)
> So similarly I’d expect to find my last accepted Workspace changes somewhere - and I don’t know where - is this what I’m still missing? And quite logically then, if I crash my image...

Workspaces are saved in the image.  New users are trained to save
their image very early on.  Not only that, assuming they were taught
that Workspaces are for playing with Smalltalk code, then they can
find all their most recent DoIt's (et al) in the change history.  Like
any backup one could poke holes in, Workspaces are backed up
well-enough relative to their use-cases.

So it's actually already pretty hard to lose anything "important",
unless they decided to put their Last Will and Testament into a
workspace window and forgot to save the image...   :)

Humor aside, there's only so much protection we can try to layer on to
guide users, but their curious exploration (hopefully!) will still
always lead them to minor setbacks.  Once learned, I doubt many will
care for the system to constantly remind them.  Unless Squeak can get
"Ignore this message in the future" functionality, I predict these
post pop-ups will eventually be removed from the code.

Best,
  Chris