[squeak-dev] Review Request: fix-busyWait-precision.1.cs

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 17:53:09 UTC 2022

On May 5, 2022, at 11:40 AM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> The better solution would be to implement very short duration Delays properly.

AFAIA the vm supports microsecond resolution delays.  However, blocking interfaces used by the vm to block when there’s nothing to do, such as select(3), may offer only millisecond resolution.

(I’m pretty sure that) What the vm maintains is the time of the next delay expiry, in the utc microsecond clock,

Internally Delay is doing delayForMicroseconds:, not delayForMilliseconds:.