[squeak-dev] [Vm-dev] Squeak 6 on Mac

Tim Johnson digit at sonic.net
Tue Jul 5 21:20:28 UTC 2022

My technique:

1) I have a folder I've made, /Applications/Squeak

2) I copy the all-in-one app bundle out of .dmg file and into this
directory.

3) I then ctrl-click or right-click on the app bundle and choose 'open'
to get around the Gatekeeper dialog on first launch.

This is how It Works For Me, on 10.13.6 and 10.15.x and 12.4 and other
macOS versions I use.  (I have some professional background in this;
I've had to coach entire orgs on `xattr -d com.apple.quarantine`,
right-click to open, "allow access to Documents folder" prompts [PPPC],
etc.  It's a hassle.)

It would be possible to build the .dmg with a pretty background graphic
which encourages users to drag-n-drop the .app into /Applications.  Very
typical of apps to be bundled this way on macOS.

There was some discussion on the list a few years back about app
sandboxing and how it impacts the user experience around the all-in-one
on macOS.  I'm not sure anything conclusive was discovered.  One strange
effect is that "Save as new version" saves the image as a new version
/inside the app bundle/.  Perhaps having `FileDirectory default` return
the sandbox directory would be worth considering, but those sandbox
directories are also ... basically annoying.

Thanks,
Tim J