[squeak-dev] wildcard expansion with OSProcess outputOf: through ssh

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 23:19:29 UTC 2022

Hi Dave,

In my bash shell, it correctly produces a list of 3 MAC addresses (one
for each network interface).

    ssh myserver cat "/sys/class/net/*/address"

The quotes are needed by the bash shell because of the way it expands
the *.  Okay, no problem so far.

When I try to run the exact command above through OSProcess outputOf:,
I get an empty String.

    OSProcess outputOf: 'ssh myserver "cat /sys/class/net/*/address"'
           "^^^ answers empty String"

If I remove the quotes, I get only the LAST MAC address of the output
as in bash (instead of all 3):

    OSProcess outputOf: 'ssh myserver cat /sys/class/net/*/address'
              "^^^ answers '00:00:00:00:00:00
'  "

And, finally, if I target the same command to my local laptop (without
ssh prefix), then it works, I get the exact same output as from bash.

      OSProcess outputOf: 'cat /sys/class/net/*/address'
           "^^^ '00:00:00:00:00:00
43:27:69:a1:d9:36
'

The issue appears to be related to wildcard expansion when ssh is used
to execute remotely..

Regards,
  Chris