[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Morphic-jar.2018.mcz

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Wed Jul 6 08:42:01 UTC 2022

Hi Jaromir --

This looks a bit "too clever" for me.

Process simulation would not work, right? And if we argue that no one wants to simulate a Morphic UI process at that level, I would argue that no Morphic application code should wait for a custom semaphore in the UI loop. ;-) Let's not forget that CMD+Dot still works so that the application programmer can discover such a mistake.

The fact that we can actually closure the binding while creating it is nice, but do we have to rely on this really to fix our problem?

The issue is scattered already via #spawnNewProcessIfThisIsUI: and the debugger's errorWasInUIProcess resume logic. If we now obfuscate the that very simple main loop to support yet another edge case ... I hope we can do better. I don't yet see how.

Finally, I think you actually want to check

uiProcess == Project current uiProcess

because

uiProcess isActiveProcess

would always be true at that point.