[squeak-dev] Dead primitive 103 makes scrolling truetype fonts very, very slow. Let's get rid of it

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Jul 7 13:12:02 UTC 2022

A note regarding the subject line of this message:

   "Dead primitive ... Let's get rid of it"

If this means "stop using primitive nnn in the image", then fine. If
it means "remove primitive nnn from the VM", it is not fine at all.
The reason is that VMs need to be able to support older images that
depend on that numbered primitive assignment.

This by the way is that reason that the use of numbered primitives
is a Very Bad Thing. I wish we could come up with a way to stop
doing that. Maybe there could be some way to generate a numbered
primitive table dynamically for the jit without hard coding the
assignments in initializePrimitiveTable in the VM?

Dave