[squeak-dev] SequenceableCollection #= method in current trunk differs from Squeak 5.2

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Thu Jul 7 17:24:17 UTC 2022

Hi all --

Here are some pointers to follow up on this #= vs. #hasEqualElements: refactoring:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2019-February/201523.html [http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2019-February/201523.html]

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2019-February/201597.html [http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2019-February/201597.html]

Best,
Marcel
Am 11.07.2020 01:50:41 schrieb Chris Cunningham <cunningham.cb at gmail.com>:

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 5:43 PM Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu [mailto:leves at caesar.elte.hu]> wrote:

Hi Nikolai,

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020, Nikolay Suslov wrote:

> Hello all,
> Figuring out, could we go back to the previous version of SequenceableCollection #= method (as in Squeak 5.2), to check if the receiver is equivalent to the otherCollection by using "self species == otherCollection species",
> instead of "self class = otherCollection class"?

IIRC there was a good reason for that change though I can't recall
what it was. I'm sure the mailing list remembers.

If you search for
    #= ==> #hash issues

in the mailing list, I think that thread has the (or a) reason for this change (although the #= change was done by nice, not me).

> The current version of #= method breaks code in different places. For example the RFB/VNC server gives wrong results starting from an authentication process, where RFBMessage is the ByteArray subclass and implements #species.

If you're looking for a fix, try this:
http://leves.web.elte.hu/squeak/RFB-ul.18.mcz [http://leves.web.elte.hu/squeak/RFB-ul.18.mcz]

Levente