[squeak-dev] OSProcess forkSqueak etc cause crash, 5.3 (with recent ARMv8 VM) and 6.0

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Jul 12 04:39:17 UTC 2022

To add a little more fuel to the fire, I just had a moment to test this on a linux-x64 system (a 5.0-202101260417 VM) and it also Booms most effectively.

Looks like we broke something fairly seriously. Does anyone have a non-boom system? Anyone feeling up to suffering the pleasures of gdb?

> On 2022-07-09, at 9:32 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>
> Well the oldest VM I have a copy sitting around is 5.0-202204040809 and that go boom.
>
> So, let's grab some older ones and see what we can see
>
> 5.0-202106302111-64bit - the oldest I can find on github that has an ARMv8 build; boom.
>
> OK, so substituting the plugin doesn't offer much hope. If I actually run the ancient vm - 5.0-202106302111-64bit (assert) - with the 6.0 image and try a simple `UnixProcess forkSqueak` then it looks like the original image/vm dies but the forked child *sort of* starts. I get a filestream primGetPosition: failure, which I imagine might not be a surprise from the comment. And of course, you can't do a clean quit at that point.
>
> If I try with a 5.3 image it just all go boom.
>
> Also tried with a 202112022203 vm and that seems to kill the original and open a blank new window? And of course it won't run the v6 image at all.
>
> So all in all it looks unpleasantly like it hasn't ever worked on a Pi, which must mean I haven't tried it since I ran my Pis in 32bit-land. What fun...
>

>> On 2022-07-08, at 1:52 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 08, 2022 at 01:20:55PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
>>> I just tried using the #forkSqueak and related methods on both my old working 5.3 image (with a recent VM) and the release 6.0 system. In both it simply blows away the system. I know it used to work but no way can I remember how long it might be since I last checked.
>>>
>>> Anybody else using a Pi (or an Apple M1/2) seeing similar? I can provide crash.dmp etc later.
>>>

>> One tip - if you happen to have an older VM for which it was working, try
>> borrowing the plugin from that VM (copy it into your current VM folder).
>> That should at least bisect the problem into the nearest decade.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> tim
> --
> Strange OpCodes: ESBD: Erase System and Burn Documentation

tim
Strange OpCodes: ARG: Agree to Run Garbage