[squeak-dev] Note sharing inside Squeak?

Jaromir Matas mail at jaromir.net
Wed Jun 1 18:07:19 UTC 2022

Hi Chris,

> I like to consider the bridge between the code and the user.  By this, and recognizing that methods can have multiple comments, the first method comment could be classified as "special" from the sense that UI's might consume and show it to end users, and would be written under that assumption.

Yes, I've just noticed there's a 'browse documentation' item on the class menu (right-click) in the Browser that extracts all first comments from every method in that class into a document. So I agree the first comment should summarize the function of the method in a terse and polished way. It's the WHAT the method does; the HOW can/should come after that imo. Such a menu item available for each method could be the interface (the question is interface to what and how would the notes be entered - via Inbox? Approved by somebody or uncensored?)

> I do think it's essential for comments to be as terse and polished as they can.  I don't know if it was part of the original spirit of Smalltalk in the 1980's but, at least in the 1990's, my mentors, including Ward Cunningham, taught that long comments are generally detrimental.  Specifically, they can be very helpful.  But long comments on every method causes constant scrolling to be required, increasing the physical and mental effort needed to do development.  They argued that if so much prose is needed just to describe the method, the code should be improved instead.

That's good :) I've managed to write a 7 line long method with 22 lines of comments and honestly, I read them each time I want to remember how it works :) (Needless to say I have no idea how to improve it.) But I suspect this probably falls into the 'documentation' category... That's why my original question; I'd like to record somewhere all the notes that explain each dangerous step, examples, references to tests, external references to discussion etc. - without swamping the method.

> Documentation is something that can and should be separate, I don't think people should have to come all the way into to the code to find documentation, so I love Tim's idea to support links out to Squeak's Help system from within the methods.  A seamless bridge out to the documentation, so method comments can be talking about mechanics of the method.  Beautiful idea.

Yes, if there was an easy path from each method to to a documentation place, all the implementation details could go there and the method could only contain comments important for general understanding of its function. By details I mean e.g. why this nil check is important, what situations are not covered, how the method improves the previous version, interrelations with other methods etc.

> I just remembered one more technique a guy I worked with a long time ago would do that I wanted to share.  For long, complex methods, he would intersperse little one-liner comments that would "translate" the next line of code to a way that, when read collectively, would basically describe what the method does in prose.  He would write conditionals as a question, and then "answer the question".
> [...]
> I'm dubious, though, that this would be a good practice in Smalltalk code except in rare circumstances.

Yes, sometimes it's key; e.g. to point out that at this exact place in the code we assume/know this and this. In Smalltalk, I agree, it may be distracting if overused.

Thanks for your comments!
best,
Jaromir

--

Jaromír Matas

mail at jaromir.net

I like to consider the bridge between the code and the user.  By this, and recognizing that methods can have multiple comments, the first method comment could be classified as "special" from the sense that UI's might consume and show it to end users, and would be written under that assumption.  Then, the 2nd comment and beyond comments would be the ones talking to readers of the code (developers).  Also, that first comment (the UI comment) could even, for example, identify the argument types and return type in some standard syntax, that might even be processable -- although that might be handled better with a pragma.

[...]

Best,
  Chris