[squeak-dev] Latest VM appears to mess with initial window size

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Thu Jun 2 14:58:26 UTC 2022

Anyway! Your concern helped raise that issue about X11 and host-window resizing. Thanks for that! :-)

Best,
Marcel
Am 01.06.2022 23:19:04 schrieb tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org>:
Well, this is annoying.

I inspected the Pi config.txt to compare the problematic one to the working one wrt display settings. I found differences and 'corrected' them and rebooted. No change. I removed the changes and rebooted; now it wouldn't even open a proper vnc window. Try some more; finally a vnc window again. Notice that the preferences tool for the display doesn't appear to know of any display on the problem Pi but does on the other. Try stuff. No change.

Run OS updates. Reboot. Now it behaves as we would expect.

OK, so now it works (yay!) but I don't have any idea what was wrong and whether it is important to know for future systems (boo!)

Life with computers....

> On 2022-06-01, at 12:51 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:
>

>> On 2022-06-01, at 12:27 PM, Tobias Pape wrote:
>>
>> We really need the info of
>> Display platformScaleFactor.
>
> -> 1.0
>> Display uiScaleFactor.
>
> -> 1.0
> Some additional info:
>
> using the fullscreen button in the top-right of the dock results in a display extent of 1024 at 768 ! The usual take-over of the entire screen by covering the host top menubar happens, it's just that the squeak window area is only part of the actual screen ;-)
>
> Maybe sometihng is causing the X stuff to report incorrect number?
> DisplayScreen class>>#setNewScreenSize: appears to work correctly even with a large size.
> DisplayScreen class>>#actualScreenSize simply reports the same as the Display extent, though I could swear it should report the size of the actual glass being used?
>
> All a bit odd, especially since Bruce does not see the problem on a nominally similar setup.
>
> tim
> --
> Useful random insult:- His head whistles in a cross wind.

tim
Computer and car salesmen differ in that the latter know when they are lying.