[squeak-dev] storePop followed by push is inefficient?

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Mon Jun 6 07:45:22 UTC 2022

Hi Craig

every time we had someone in a VM course play around with Squeak bytecode these "digrams" (or sometimes even trigrams, when a returnTop is involved) where
the first obvious go-to "optimizables".

The point is, these combinations are typically the result of adjacent AST nodes being encoded without the knowledge that they operate on the same temp.
One node ends with the popIntoTemp, the next one starts with a pushTemp.

It is a typical compiler optimization to elide those things, but you typically need multiple passes, SSA transformations or other shenanigans to propagate all necessary information.

True, cogit could fuse those, sista could fuse those, or even the basic compiler could fuse those, but it such optimization passes always come at the cost of increased complexity.

Best regards
	-Tobias