[squeak-dev] #setAuthorInitials inconsistent behavior

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Mon Jun 20 08:37:51 UTC 2022

Hi Jaromir --

> I just thought cancelling the dialogue while NOT saving method
> changes would achieve the same result, i.e. no unauthored method
> changes.

Hmm... that would entail an inadvertent/hidden "CMD+Dot", right? Well, the
user should be informed of such things. And we cannot know how deep
the control flow currently is...

Christoph has ideas on how to improve user-input requests along with a proper
design of Notifictions/Warnings. Maybe that would also cover this use case.

Best,
Marcel
Am 20.06.2022 10:33:21 schrieb Jaromir Matas <mail at jaromir.net>:
Hi Marcel,

Thanks for your explanation.

> One possible change -- that needs to be discussed after the release -- would be to answer something like "unknown" if the user cancels the dialog.

My opinion: I like the way it is that you MUST enter some initials otherwise the changes won’t be saved. I just thought cancelling the dialogue while NOT saving method changes would achieve the same result, i.e. no unauthored method changes.

Anyway; thanks again, shall I close the github issue?
Best,
jaromir

--
Jaromír Matas